Saturday, December 14, 2013

"I would walk 500 miles..."

(Post title cred to The Proclaimers with this classic!)

So this post will be relatively short, but I just wanted to make a post to share/boast/complain about how much of a workout my daily life is! I went to a chiropractor the other day, and he said I have 30-year-old knees (not that 30 is old, but it's older than I am). I blame Korea!

First, I walk every day because I have to walk to get anywhere. I walk for about 15 minutes to get to work in the afternoon, and 15 minutes back home at the end of the day (see my earlier post as a reminder that this is in fact safe!). When I take the subway to go shopping or go meet friends (let's be real, that's all I ever spend my time doing...), I walk about 10 minutes to get to the nearest subway station. I get on the subway, and then I usually have to change subway lines to get where I need to go. This involves getting off the subway halfway to my destination, walking up or down some stairs and station corridors to get to the next train, and taking it to wherever I am trying to go. Then I usually walk several blocks to get to the restaurant or mall or coffee shop or wherever I'm headed. And then I do the whole trip in reverse to come home. Not to intimidate any prospective visitors, but because the subway is so far underground, you get to do three, four, or five sets of these stairs each time you come up out of the station.
 

(To be fair, there are often escalators to get you up one level, but most of the time you're hiking stairs.)

And then there's buying groceries and water. I am very thankful for a job where I can work to make money to buy necessities and much more, so I am not complaining about being able to buy food. But I will just comment on how HEAVY groceries are! The nearest grocery store to my apartment is less than 10 minutes away from my apartment; it's right at the entrance of my apartment complex, actually! But when I buy fruit, frozen food, canned items, and bottled water all in one trip, it is an arm workout to get all that stuff home!!


In Korea, you can have your groceries delivered to your door free of charge if you order online. However, this would involve having enough Korean language proficiency to be able to make an order online, and having a Korean credit card to make the purchase. Having neither of those, I get to lug my groceries home with my own two hands. Again, not complaining, just commenting ;)

All of that being said, I am thankful to have a healthy, able body that gets me from A to B!

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. and you didn't even mention the cold and snow! i love all of your comments and i agree explaining is not the same as complaining :-) i have mommy-advice about your knees...we will get them as good as new! talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you get me ;) okay, I'm looking forward to the Dr. Mom recommendations when we Skype next! love you <3

      Delete